Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Academy Life Daily Life continues.....

As you may have noticed in my previous post, the Basics have Intramural times.  Dustin informed me in his last letter that he is doing cross-country during BCT.  I think most Basics compete in a sport that they have previously competed in before the Academy.  Since he wasn't in a major sport in high school, he is falling back on what he did in middle school and also during all of the PT in NJROTC.  He did inform me that he is presently 115 lbs and that they have said he is within 5% or less of the minimum weight.  He's now been "prescribed" 3 8oz bottle of boost drinks a day to give him the extra calories.This doesn't surprise me in the least.

You may notice that the Basics have listed afternnon activities. These activities may have consisted of Coat Fitting/Shoe Issue, Free Inspection, Proxy Card Processing, Dental/Optometry Clinic, Flight Drill, and lessons in AF History, Core Values, and Rendering Courtesies.  They may also have some lessons in clothing drawer and wardrobe set-up. 

"Free Inspection" - As they basics learn how to put their rooms and uniforms in order, they have cadre come in and show what it right and wrong with what they're doing.  However, they just had  their first "SAMI" this weekend.  (That's the dreaded Saturday Morning Inspection.)  This is where all the Basics will have their rooms and personal appearance inspected in the same 1 hour period by official cadre evaluators.   These ratings ultimately go into to the squadron's overall performance for the top squadron at the end of BCT.  The "Free Inspection" allows the rooms to undergo a thorough inspection with the discrepancies identified in order to give the basics the time to fix the problems prior to Saturday.

LOAC (Laws of Armed Conflict): In wars and conflicts, there a established rules that countries are expected to abide by.  These "Laws of Armed Conflict" are taught to the basics and cadets so they will adhere to them on active duty. 

Code of Conduct: - The Basics will be receiving training on the Profession of Arms.  Part of that training is the U.S. Military Code of Conduct.  Here it is listed below:
 
The Code of Conduct for U.S. Armed Forces was first published by
President Dwight D. Eisenhower in Executive Order 10631 in 1955. It was
later amended by President Carter in 1977. It outlines the basic
responsibilities and obligations of all U.S. service members to the the
United States.
I

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and
our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense. 


II
I will never surrender of my
own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my
command while they still have the means to resist.


III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I
will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will
accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.


IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow
prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which
might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command.
If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and
will back them up in every way. 


V
When questioned, should I
become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service
number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to
the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements
disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause. 


VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom,
responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made
my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of
America.

No comments:

Post a Comment